HOUSTON, Texas — A number of Texas Upper Gulf Coast communities are mourning the loss of a deputy who dedicated 23 years of his life to law enforcement.

Harris County Precinct 5 Constable's Office Deputy Mark Brown, 53, died late Saturday night after a two-month battle with COVID-19, his wife, Michelle, confirmed.

Brown's law enforcement career began with the Hempstead Police Department, then, 18 years with the Spring Branch Independent School District, and the last three years with the Precinct 5 Constable's Office.

“Mark Brown represented the very best of Precinct 5,” stated Precinct 5 Constable Ted Heap. “Whether he was on patrol or investigating an unsolved case, he was a dedicated and hard-working deputy who sought only to protect our residents and see that justice was served.”

Brown was a Houston native and graduated from Spring Woods High School in 1985. He was named a 2nd team All-American baseball player while studying criminal justice at Dallas Baptist University in 1988.

"This virus is unpredictable and affects everyone differently," stated Michelle.

In May, after his breathing became critical, Brown was hospitalized with a number of COVID-19-related complications. Last week, he returned home for the last time.

"This horrible virus has caused devastating damage and the time has come to bring him to the comfort of our home and surround him with those who love him most," Michelle said, describing Brown as "the kindest, most gentle, and giving man."

"I pray that God gives me strength to navigate this world without you by my side," she continued. "Right now, I don’t know how. I’m trying to breathe one breath at a time. I’m forever grateful that I was able to wrap myself around you and hold you until you took your last breath. You fought so hard."

He is survived by his wife, Michelle, and four children, Christopher, Isabella, Abigail, and Jacob.

A GoFundMe account, here, has been established to assist the family with medical and funeral related expenses.