GARLAND, Texas — A man was arrested after allegedly shooting a gun in a public place, running over and striking two police officers who responded to the scene, and injuring a police K-9 on Sunday night in north Texas.

Just after 9:30 p.m., on Sunday, June 28, 2020, the Garland Police Department responded to a weapons disturbance at the intersection of South First Street and Glenfield Drive where a 911 caller advised a man was armed with guns and shooting them into the air.

Police were told the suspect, later identified as 29-year-old Gabriel Cobarrubias of Dallas, Texas, arrived at a convenience store at that location, blocked a patron's vehicle in the poarking lot with a red Infiniti, and, when asked to move his vehicle by an employee, produced two handguns and began firing into the air while yelling, "What are you going to do."

Upon arrival, police officers observed the Infiniti in the parking lot with the engine running. Cobarrubias was observed exiting the store and walking to the car.

"Not knowing where the guns were, officers gave Cobarrubias commands to surrender, but he refused and retreated back into the store," read a statement from the Garland Police Department. "After attempting to communicate with Cobarrubias, he eventually exited the store and began to quickly walk towards his vehicle."

"Due to the report of Cobarrubias shooting guns near the convenience store, and not knowing where the guns were, officers ordered Cobarrubias away from the vehicle," continued the statement. "Cobarrubias ignored the officer's commands and entered the Infiniti."

One of the officers attempted to detain Cobarrubias by reaching for him through the driver's door and, as Cobarrubias put the vehicle into reverse and attempted to flee, he drug and ran over the officer and struck the second officer with the passenger door.

With the assistance of a Texas Department of Public Safety helicopter and a K-9 unit, Cobarrubias was tracked to a drainage pipe in a field near the 2000 block of Merrimac Trail where he ditched his vehicle and fled on foot.

Cobarrubias, according to police, injured the police K-9 during his arrest.

Officers later located and recovered both handguns — one which was located in the backyard of a residence on Merrimac Trail.

The officer who was dragged by Cobarrubias suffered a fractured tailbone and numerous abrasions to his arms and legs. He has since been released from the hospital. The second officer suffered minor injuries to his knee and hip.

Cobarrubias, who had an active warrant out of Dallas County for burglary of a building, a felony, was charged with two counts of aggravated assault against a police officer, discharge of firearms in certain municipalities, and unlawful possession of a firearm by felon. He is being held at the Garland Detention Center.