HOUSTON, Texas — A Houston Police Department officer is in stable condition after being shot twice in the arm in a shootout with a pursuit suspect overnight.

Three police officers returned fire and struck the suspect, killing him, according to police.

Houston Police Department Chief Art Acevedo says police were attempting to conduct a traffic stop on a vehicle for a traffic violation around 11:51 p.m. The driver of that vehicle, a white Mercedes Benz, failed to yield to the officer and fled, striking and passing over several curbs, and fleeing out of the officers' sight.

A tow truck driver observed the vehicle in the 10100 block of Forum Park Drive and alerted police.

Acevedo says a two-man patrol vehicle approached the car from one side and a female unit approached the vehicle from the other side — blocking in the suspect vehicle.

The yet to be identified male suspect exited the vehicle with a revolver raised at the female officer, opened fire, and struck the female officer twice in her right arm. The female officer and two male officers returned fire, striking the suspect.

Acevedo says officers applied a tourniquet to the suspect and, upon observing he was not breathing, began administering CPR. When EMS arrived, he was pronounced deceased.

Officers also applied a tourniquet to the injured officer's arm and transported her by patrol vehicle to a nearby hospital. Acevedo say the female officer, identified as Jasmine Selle, was able to walk into the hospital of her own strength.

Selle, according to Acevedo, is conscious, alert, and in stable condition surrounded by family and colleagues. She has been with the department for two-and-a-half years.

The two male officers were identified as Kevin Smith and Israel Maldonado who have been with the department for three and four years, respectively.

Acevedo says the officers will be placed on administrative leave, as is departmental procedure following an officer-involved shooting, pending the results of an investigation.

This is a developing story.


Reporting on breaking news in the DFW metroplex since 2012 and later expanded coverage statewide. Mathew can be reached by email or social media by using the links below.