HOUSTON, Texas — A Houston Police Department officer was shot and hospitalized Thursday night responding to a violent crime spree including an armed carjacking and robbery and beating of a priest.

Houston Police Department Chief Art Acevedo says the crime spree began just before 10 p.m. when four black male suspects carjacked a man at a Valero in the 5800 block of Scott Street.

During the carjacking, the four males suspects took a 2003 Chevy Tahoe at gunpoint. The victim told police the vehicle was likely "running on fumes" as he had not had the opportunity to pump gas before being carjacked.

The Tahoe was found by police officers nearby in the 6200 block of Teirwester Street.

Minutes later, Acevedo says a priest was approached by what is believed to be the same four suspects on Meriburr Lane. One of the suspects pointed the gun at the priest and pulled the trigger twice but, the gun did not fire, according to Acevedo. The suspects then beat the priest and took his cell phone.

Shortly thereafter, police officers in an unmarked vehicle spotted four males matching the description of the male suspects in the area of Teirwester Street and the H-E-B grocery store.

At 10:24 p.m., Acevedo says officers were engaged in a foot pursuit with the suspects and, within a minute, one of the suspects was in custody.

Officers gave chase with another suspect in the area of Tristan Street and Scott Street when gunfire erupted. A Houston Police Department officer, a five-year veteran of the department, was struck three times, according to Acevedo. The officer was transported to Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center where, at last update, he was undergoing surgery and in "guarded" condition.

Acevedo says the officer is engaged to be married to a fellow Houston Police Department officer and his father is a 42-year veteran of the department.

The suspect who engaged in gunfire with the officer, and possibly a second officer, was struck and killed. He was pronounced deceased at the scene, according to Acevedo.

At a briefing, Acevedo said a second suspect was taken into custody and the final suspect remained at large.

No names or ages of the suspects were available at the last briefing. The officers name was also not released.

Acevedo says the situation remains fluid and ongoing as police officers, detectives, investigators, and intelligence officers work to locate the final suspect.

This is a developing story.