TEXAS CITY, Texas — UPDATE [June 9] — The search for Kemah Police Department Chief Chris Reed came to an end on Sunday after his body was recovered from the water approximately one and a half miles north of the Texas City Dike.

According to the United States Coast Guard, a body matching the description of Reed was recovered by a Galveston County Marine Unit boat crew west of Buoy 32 in the Houston Ship Channel at 7:54 a.m.

Reed is believed to have been knocked overboard by a large wake from another boat.

“Our hearts go out to the family and friends of Chief Reed, as well as the Kemah and law enforcement communities,” stated Lt. Cmdr. Caren Damon, Coast Guard SAR Mission Coordinator.

Coast Guard crews searched more than 650 square miles over the course of approximately 40 hours.

ORIGINAL [June 8] — The search continues Saturday for Kemah Police Department Chief Chris Reed after he was knocked overboard on Friday near the Texas City Dike.

Officials say Reed was on a boat with his wife when he was knocked overboard by a large wake from another passing boat. He never resurfaced.

A number of local, state, and federal agencies are assisting in the search including a Coast Guard Air Station Houston MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew, an Air Station Corpus Christi C-144 Ocean Sentry aircrew, a Station Galveston boat crew, the crew of the Coast Guard Cutter Tiger Shark and a Coast Guard drone team.

In addition to some 15 U.S. Coast Guard vessels, 25 volunteer vessels and foot patrols on the shoreline joined the search efforts.

Involved in the search are:

Coast Guard Air Station Houston

Coast Guard Air Station Corpus Christi

Coast Guard Station Galveston

Coast Guard Cutter Tiger Shark

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department

Texas City Marine Unit

Harris County Marine Unit

Chambers County

Galveston County Sheriff's Office Marine Unit

Galveston Police Department

Galveston Island Beach Patrol

Nassau Bay Fire Department

League City Fire Department

Webster Fire Department

UTMB Marine Police

Texas EquuSearch


Reporting on breaking news in the DFW metroplex since 2012 and later expanded coverage statewide. Mathew can be reached by email or social media by using the links below.