Facebook Live video.

SAN ANGELO, Texas — A man killed in an exchange of gunfire with law enforcement yesterday had taken to Facebook Live to denounce what he described as a "tyrannical government" in wake of, among other things, the response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

On Wednesday, May 13, 2020, at approximately 7:30 p.m., the Texas Department of Public Safety responded to assist the Schleicher County Sheriff's Office with an armed man who had barricaded himself in a residence after an altercation between family members, according to Texas Department of Public Safety Sergeant Justin Baker.

The male subject had been identified as 47-year-old Donny Leek.

Leek's parents, prior to the standoff with police, had called 911 and reported Leek threatened them and they had sought refuge in a dense brush area on the property. They were later located and removed from the property as law enforcement initially attempted to make contact with Leek.

In an update on Friday evening, Baker says law enforcement obtained an arrest warrant for Leek on charges for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after he fired multiple rounds from a rifle at his parents.

After a lengthy standoff, which extended into Thursday morning, Baker says the male subject exited the residence and exchanged gunfire with law enforcement officers.

"Once the arrest warrant was obtained, law enforcement officers attempted negotiations with the subject — these negotiations lasted throughout the night," stated Baker. "After approximately 16 hours of failed negotiations, the suspect fired at law enforcement officers when they attempted to serve him with the outstanding warrant. Officers returned fire, and the suspect was killed."

Leek had taken to Facebook during the standoff to denounce tyrannical government actions in wake of, among other things, the governments response to the COVID-19 pandemic and its effects on the economy, which was mentioned on a series of Facebook Live videos during the hours-long standoff.

At one point during one of Leek's videos, he shows images of firearms and ammo in calling out the multiple law enforcement agencies which had surrounded his property. In his final Facebook Live video moments, he can be heard saying "he wasn't going in" and the only choices police had were to "leave or rush."

SanAngeloLIVE.com captured portions of that video and shared it on their website.

The Texas Rangers have been called in to investigate the incident. Citing an ongoing investigation, no additional information was released.